THE CONDUIT COMPOSER

Monday 4 June 2018

Dementia Research: Re-connecting to a sense of self through place


Those of you that have followed my journey for some time, will know that for the last four years I have been pioneering innovative ways of empowering older people to be integral to the development of dementia friendly  resources. At sound memories dementia friendly radio, we have our Life Story Channel which is doing really well, a new Inter-generational Channel and our Environmental Sound Maps. 

Last week I blogged explaining why we are looking for funding to explore new ways of working with those who are living with end stage dementia, where hyperacusis is very common. This is a debilitating hearing condition that causes random sound distortion and there is no medication or treatment for it. You can read the full BLOG POST HERE


I know hyperacusis only too well. I have the condition myself as a complication of my own hearing loss. I can not think of anything worse than being in a noisy care home or ward with the sound of air beds and floor buffing machines.

Isn't it enough that someone has end stage dementia. To think that they have this additional complication is heart breaking to me. It was on the discovery of this end stage complication with dementia that I began to explore new ways that we might be able to create something at Sound Memories using Silence and Nature, enabling someone to still get the sense of the outdoors that connects them to self and some relief from their condition. 

Well, a very moving thing happened. In response to that call out this weekend, I had a telephone call from a local family whose mother had sadly, suddenly passed away and the family would like to support our research with donations from their mother's funeral. We will dedicate the new radio channel to their mother. I am almost moved to tears by this kindness. What a wonderful tribute to their mother and a poignant way to remember a loved one, by helping many others.

If you would like to leave a legacy to your loved ones in this way, please feel free to get in touch with me at our Group Page.

I hope wherever you are and whatever stage of life you find yourself, that you can find some moments of joy in your day.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.